Friday, June 22, 2012

Extra Personalized Quilt Square

When my grandfather passed away, my grandmother had a hard time going through all of his belongings. The two of them had been best friends and madly in love with each other for longer than my age doubled. Bob and I went to his funeral, and afterward we helped go through and get rid of some of his things, mainly his clothes. My sister-in-law had a wonderful idea involving a few of those shirts.

My grandpa was known for his shirts. He owned numerous colorful button-downs that had too much character. In light of that, I kept a few that made a nice color scheme--browns, greens, and cream colors. My sister-in-law is a quilter, and she's pretty amazing at it. I gave her the shirts, she cut them into equal amounts, and gave me and each of my siblings some of the clippings to make some quilt squares that would then be made into a quilt for my grandma. We were each supposed to make four squares and then make one personalized square... At least, that's what I understood. 

In putting all of the pieces together, something went wrong (I think I actually was the one who screwed things up with my squares) and the personalized squares ended up not being used. But my sister-in-law is awesome, and she thought mine was just too nicely done to get rid of. Maybe she thought that of everyone's. Regardless, she framed mine and gave it back to me. 






I had forgotten how great of a job I'd done it. It looks really nice in a frame! So I hung it up in the corner where I sit to feed Graham sometimes. It's my little corner of zen--very simple and free of clutter (although it hasn't always been like that), with my favorite lamp and a rug that is like heaven for my toes.


(Oh, and my other sister-in-law who crochets and made the owl hat for my son also made that cute green and white chevron blanket for Graham as well.) 

I am planning on recovering the cushions for my glider rocking chair in the future, so keep your eyes open for that post!

No comments:

Post a Comment