Friday, September 14, 2012

Food on Friday: Good-ol' French Toast

I love French Toast.
It's super simple, but boy can it get messed up if you're not careful.
I've made it numerous times.
And I always tried to perfect it.

(Now, when I say "perfect" I mean make it perfectly delicious, not perfectly healthy... Yet...)



Anyway, I think I'm getting pretty close. Here's my latest attempt, with rough measurements (because I don't measure very often).

.........................................................................................
Janae's Good-ol' French Toast

4 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp powdered sugar
6-8 slices of bread

Beat the eggs, milk, and yogurt together. Stir in cinnamon and powdered sugar. Dip slices of bread into egg mixture and place on medium-heated griddle. Pour extra spoonful of egg mixture over the top of each bread slice while the bottom is cooking. Cook until bottom is golden and still moist, 5-7 minutes depending on griddle temperature. Flip and cook the other side. Flip and cook each side longer if necessary. Top with fresh berries, syrup, and/or your favorite jam.

.........................................................................................


Something I've learned: lower temperature + longer cook time = better French toast

You may be starving, and you may not care if your French toast is dry and overcooked. But I do. I care if it's crispy, fluffy, and flavorful. 

And this recipe is exactly that.

The yogurt and milk keep the eggs moist and fluffy. I like to add yogurt into recipes sometimes just for that purpose.


This is my mother-in-law's cast iron griddle. Isn't it fantastic?



Fresh raspberries and strawberries are my favorite topping to many breakfast recipes.



What are your tips and tricks for making perfect french toast?

No comments:

Post a Comment